This project is read-only.

Problems getting started

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM
When I open the StudioShell window, I see:
Import-Module : The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131047)
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\bin\Scripts\start-studioShell.ps1:21 char:14
  • import-module <<<< studioshell;
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], FileLoadException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileLoadException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand
And then a bunch more errors, but I suspect that's the root problem. I am a noob to powershell, having just watched your most excellend pluralsight video! :) Thanks!

UPDATE:
I also want to mention that I initially installed the msi, and then the nuget, and then uninstalled the nuget, and uninstalled the msi and then reinstalled the msi. Maybe not exactly in that order but I did a lot of uninstalls/reinstalls ideally ending up without the nuget bits and with the msi bits.

Also, I have powershell 2 and not 3 or 4.
Apr 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Thanks for this - I've verified framework version of this release is 3.5, which is correct. Do you have .NET 3.5 installed?
Apr 7, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Yes, I have 3.5 and 4.5.
Also I have Windows 7 Pro.
Apr 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM
is your OS 64 bit?
Apr 7, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Yes it is.

One detail that may or may not be interesting is that I typically work under a non-admin user on my machine. I just noticed that when I run VS 2013 as an admin, I don't see the StudioShell extension at all (i.e. I only see it when running as non-admin).
Apr 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Ok, I'm having trouble getting a hold of this one. Can you do me a favor? Open the Tools>Options dialog, select StudioShell, and set the logging level to Verbose. Close VS, reopen it, and then open the StudioShell console. Copy the contents of the console into this thread (or attach it as a file to a new issue). This should help me narrow down the offending assembly.
Apr 23, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Copyright (c) 2011 Code Owls LLC, All Rights Reserved.

Import-Module : The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131047)
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\bin\Scripts\start-studioShell.ps1:21 char:14
  • import-module <<<< studioshell;
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], FileLoadException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileLoadException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand
Import-Module : The specified module 'preferencestack' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module directory.
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\bin\Scripts\invoke-studioShellProfile.ps1:20 char:14
  • import-module <<<< preferencestack;
    • CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (preferencestack:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand
The term 'push-preference' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of
the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\bin\Scripts\invoke-studioShellProfile.ps1:21 char:46
  • get-studioShellSettings.ps1 | push-preference <<<< ;
    • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (push-preference:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
Please wait while the StudioShell profile scripts are run...

Name Used (GB) Free (GB) Provider Root CurrentLocation

dplocal 6.42 FileSystem C:\workspaces\DataPower
dn 6.42 FileSystem C:\workspaces\DotNet
Register-ObjectEvent : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'InputObject' because it is null.
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\studioshell.provider\initializationscripts\register-solutionevents.ps1:281 char:22
  • register-objectEvent <<<< $_.source -eventname $_.event -action $_.action | out-null;
    • CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Register-ObjectEvent], ParameterBindingValidationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RegisterObjectEventCommand
Register-ObjectEvent : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'InputObject' because it is null.
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\studioshell.provider\initializationscripts\register-solutionevents.ps1:281 char:22
  • register-objectEvent <<<< $_.source -eventname $_.event -action $_.action | out-null;
    • CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Register-ObjectEvent], ParameterBindingValidationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RegisterObjectEventCommand
Get-Item : Cannot find drive. A drive with the name 'dte' does not exist.
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\studioshell.provider\initializationscripts\register-solutionevents.ps1:25 char:25
  • $script:sln = get-item <<<< dte:/solution;
    • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (dte:String) [Get-Item], DriveNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : DriveNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetItemCommand
Get-Item : Cannot find drive. A drive with the name 'dte' does not exist.
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\studioshell.provider\initializationscripts\register-solutionevents.ps1:50 char:36
  • $local:solutionFilePath = get-item <<<< dte:/solution;
    • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (dte:String) [Get-Item], DriveNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : DriveNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetItemCommand
The term 'pop-preference' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of
the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\bin\Scripts\invoke-studioShellProfile.ps1:105 char:15
  • pop-preference <<<< ;
    • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (pop-preference:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
Remove-Module : No modules were removed. Verify that the specification of modules to remove is correct and those modules exist in the
runspace.
At C:\Program Files (x86)\Code Owls LLC\StudioShell\bin\Scripts\invoke-studioShellProfile.ps1:106 char:14
  • remove-module <<<< preferencestack;
    • CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Remove-Module], InvalidOperationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_NoModulesRemoved,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveModuleCommand
Apr 23, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Exact same error today for me. First time install.

VS2012 Version 11.0.61030.00 Update 4
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.5.50938
Sep 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Identical problem. Also first time install.

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
Version 12.0.30723.00 Update 3
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.5.51209
Sep 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM
What version of PowerShell is everyone running? Please run this command:

$psversiontable | clip

and paste the results back into this thread.
Sep 18, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Try install Power Shell 3.0. I had the exact same problem since June. This is my solution.

How do I found this? I have a few Win7 machines, they all have the same problem. But all my Win8 machines works. The only difference I found in between win7 and win8 is Power Shell version. When I upgrade the PS to 3.0 on Win7, the StudioShell 1.6.5 just magically works without uninstall/reinstall.