This project is read-only.

StudioShell in BIDS

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM

BIDS (Business Intelligence Development Studio) is the IDE for SQL Server. It's based on Visual Studio 2008 (2005 for earlier versions). Will StudioShell be made available to apps that are extensions of VS?

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I see no reason why it shouldn't; however, since I do not have access to BIDS this is not something I can work on.  I would need someone with who has access to BIDS to isolate any the path nodes that do not apply to that environment.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Where do I start?

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Awesome.

Step one would be to fork the code.  Just go to the Source Code tab and click the "Create Fork" link.  This will be your personal fork where you can commit and push without stepping on anyone else's code.

Step two would be to investigate where the Visual Studio DTE object model and add-in architecture diverges from the BIDS.  My guess is that a lot of the add-in architecture will be the same, but the object model supported by BIDS will be different in places.  E.g., my guess is there is no code model support for SQL, so those path nodes would have to go.

Hmm, the more I write the mode it sounds like I need some docs on the project architecture ... "path nodes" means something to me, but prolly not you.

Ok, here's the short-term plan: you fork the code, make sure you can build it, do your research on the BIDS extensibility model.  I'll draft a brief architecture document.  Then we're regroup.