Creating complete solution with projects

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Is there a way to create an entire solution with the various projects I use over and over in my applications with StudioShell?

I have a standard way I build my ASP.NET MVC applications with an n-Tier framework, Service Layer, Business Objects and Data objects, etc.  I've exported each of the individual projects as Visual Studio templates, so it's making it easier for me to start a new project.  But it's still a bit time consuming.

What I'd like to do is this:

1. Create a new named Visual Studio 2010 Empty Solution for my new application
  2. Run a PowerShell (or StudioShell) script that will create all the various projects I need for my solution
  3. Done!

Keep in mind that all my exported project templates also contain all the assembly references that I need for those projects, which is a huge time saver, so I don't want to simply add a new empty project.  I need to add my exported template projects!

Any suggestions on whether this is possible and how to get started is appreciated.  I'm a PowerShell newbie, but I will learn it if I find out this type of thing is possible.

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM

@Kahanu: this is entirely possible.  I'll prepare a blog post demonstrating how  to accomplish this exact workflow soon, and update this discussion with a link when it's ready.